Tuesday, January 6, 2015

I'm Not Dead! I think I'll Go For A Walk!

Not even going to explain why I can't regularly post. Just going to move on!

OK Fun with copper tubing.  Had a lot of fun smashing and foldforming copper tubing to make some copper bracelets.

The blue patina on the above copper bracelet was done quickly and rather well with ammonia and table salt.   See my post about patina's but this was done just a bit different. Instead of painting ammonia on the bracelet I simply soaked a rag in ammonia. Got the copper wet with the ammonia and sprinkled salt. Closed the lid on the tupperware and wala! The next day pretty blue.   This worked out sweet.


With the same tubing used to make the bracelets above I made the earrings pictured below. This copper tubing is 6mm or about 1/4 inch in diameter.   I flame painted the tubing and added the turqoise and handmade sterling sliver rondelles. To make the silver rondelles I melted scrap silver, smashed the lumps, drilled holes and sanded. Very fun.  The head pin is balled up ss wire.


We came across a great and easy project here and did a class at The Workspace this last summer. We had fun and had great success! See pictures below. Again these were made with copper tubing.  This tubing was smaller than above, it is 3mm or about 1/8 inch. The 20gauge sterling silver ear wires are simply held in the earrings just with the smashed tubing. Notice how the students flattened the wire in both planes. The did an EXCELLENT job with texture, design and patina.

Drop in Copper Bangle Bracelets Class is next week.  Check out the link and come smash out some art!

No comments:

Post a Comment