Tuesday, November 17, 2015

November. Already. ...

Why does there have to be dates on this thing? To show how lame I am at staying on task...

Very , very busy year.  I have spent most of my free time working for and doing programs for SOAR-Saving Our Avian Resources.  www.soarraptors.org.  It is a passion and if I didn't have to have a real job, SOAR would be my real job and I would have more time for metalsmithing.

But I really enjoy my craft. It is fun. I like to challenge myself. I like the tools and the possibilities. However, I struggle with design.  I think if I took more time drawing, sketching, studying lines and shapes, I would be happier with my results.  Where do you like to look for creativity? for inspiration?

I was able to purchase a new camera and was also blessed with a trip to Glacier and Canada with the hubby this summer. Photography is another place to look for inspiration and ideas.  I like to look at photos, but zoom in on a small portion, to see the individual lines and not the whole picture. This helps get my brain to stop insisting that everything must be of a realistic or photographic quality. It stretches my brain.



Cropped
The cropped photo is still really recognizable but maybe this pattern would look good surrounding a cabochon or incorporated in a repetitive design in a bracelet or as texture on a bowl.

Original photo



Anything to get me to not be so "normal" and "regular" in my designs.

Fold formed copper, flame "painted" with sterling silver
This is as close to abstract as I have gotten recently.   I usually have to have pieces very symetrical and I am trying to not do that...

and then... sometimes you just gotta make stuff so you are making stuff. So you are using your tools and sawing, and playing with fire, especially after going such long stretches this year without even walking into my studio.
Recycled aluminum wire...I added some little red beads to one...Have you ever worked with aluminum? What should I do with it?

copper...Christmas ornament? Gift tag?...?
Time to get back in to my studio and make some more items. Let's crank out some earrings and use up some stones!

No comments:

Post a Comment