Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Wirework!

So I still don't know everything I should probably know about this blogging thing. Like, are you supposed to start a new page every time you make a new entry or just keep adding to the same page?

And of course I wonder if anyone will read this but I guess it is ok if no one does because one thing this blog helps me do is straighten my brain. As I plan to teach my next class I have been thinking how can I present the information for my students on the blog, and I think that helps to create some order to my curriculum.  Which is good because I am a little scatter brained and when I start teaching I get excited and possibly a bit carried away.

Having the chance to do anything creative is a blessing.  Being able to do it in a warm, inviting, friendly atmosphere is wonderful.  Being able to pass on some knowledge while learning from others at the same time is priceless.

So I am working on preparing for two classes that start this week.  The one tonight is Wire Work. Take some wire; copper, silver etc and cut and file and create a headpin.  Curl the end with round pliers. Smash the end with your hammer and a steel bench block, ball up the end with a torch. Learn how to make a wrapped eye loop. Now you are ready to add some gorgeous beads. I love beads. I use only natural gemstones, no dyes.


  • Full Disclosure: I struggle sometimes with using metal and gemstones in my jewelry. I love nature and have been a naturalist and am still lucky enough to help teach environmental education. Natural gemstones and metals are mined from our planet earth. That can be a huge impact on the earth. We as humans need to reduce the impact we each have on the earth.  At the same time, gemstones and copper and silver are beautiful creations.  I draw my designs from nature. My stones remind me that it is part of the earth and I am part of the earth. Take care of it. It is all we have. The gemstones I choose are not dyed, simply polished to show their natural beauty. The name "Silver Leaf" comes from one of my favorite jaspers - Silver Leaf Jasper.  So share your art with others but try to limit your impact. Purchase metal from recycled sources (ie Hoover and Strong), gems from conflict free suppliers etc.
  • Hoover and Strong explain this delima pretty well on this web page:             https://www.hooverandstrong.com/harmony-at-hoover-and-strong

Then take another piece of wire - file the ends, you want them wonderfully smooth so they do not scratch or snag on clothing. Create an eye loop, string on a bead, create a second eye loop and Wala! You have a bead link!
Amethyst and freshwater pearl bead link earrings

Once you learn how to make the headpins and ear wires well, you can make them quickly. These have some sterling silver spacer beads added to help draw the eye to the gemstone.

Simple, hoop earrings with smokey quartz

Swirls and large jump rings make for  a fun bracelet, this was shot before  soldering the jump rings closed. The wire  gauge is not very thick so therefore the jump rings may come open which is why I like to solder them closed.

Lots of fun with wire work, twisting, hammering, playing...

Coil wire around a mandrel such as a knitting needle. Make nice, tight pretty coils. Now you can cut the coils apart with your wire cutters or saw them apart to create wonderful jump rings.

Take large gauge wire such as 14 or 12 gauge and make beautiful clasps. Make a swan clasp, S-Curve Clasp or a funky free form Clasp. Use your hammer to planish or give it some texture. Use the same gauge wire to make a strong jump ring for your clasp to grab a hold of to hold your beautiful creation safe on your wrist.

Create any number of different shapes with 20 gauge wire after having very carefully filed, sanded and smoothed the ends of the wire, for ear wires.

That is what we will be exploring tonight and the next 2 Tuesday nights at The Workspace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment