Sunday, February 3, 2013

Saw Blades Chart Thanks to Tim McCreight

Tim McCreight is a name you want to know when you really want to learn about metalsmithing.  Click here to get a list of his books. He has taught metalsmithing for years and now he has even embraced metal clay and is considered an expert in that medium as well.

I refer to my "Complete Metalsmith" and "Jewelry: Fundamentals of Metalsmithing" books frequently. "Fundamentals" has several tables that are helpful.

This is from page 10 of "Jewelry: Fundamentals of Metalsmithing" - a table for selecting saw blades.

From finest blades to coarser blades:
Blade Size               Use With B&S Gauge
   8/0                                     26
   6/0                                     24
   4/0                                     22
   2/0                                     22
   0                                        20
   1                                        20
   2                                      16/18
   3                                      12/14
   4                                        10
   5                                         8

I must admit that I do not have a very large selection of saw blades. If I have to I "make do" with what I have. But buy a few sizes of blades that correspond with the gauge of metal you will be working with most often.

No comments:

Post a Comment