Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beginning With Resin

Hello - I created this blog a year ago, just to see how easy it was but never really intended to use it. I have a web page that I have a very hard time quickly and easily updating so have abandoned that for now. Recently I joined Pinterest but now think, to post instructions for the classes I teach at The Workspace, I thought I would use this blog for awhile and see how it works out.

This coming Tuesday I start Resin Jewelry, a two night class that will be completed Thursday evening.  Resin jewelry is fun and versatile.  I usually work with metal but experimenting with a new medium helps expand your creativity.  My first test was using the resin kit I had bought for my daughter several years ago that she had never opened.  It was Easy Cast from Rings & Things. I also bought Ice Resin in the double syringe pack.  I then did some pours with both comparing the results.
Resin Jewelry class at The Workspace -  Jan. 22 & 24
Student creations from The Workspace

Quick Summary: I like Ice Resin better.  But it is more expensive.  It is easier to mix, cures with fewer bubbles and is harder than Easy Cast and is crystal clear.

Quick Tips:
  • Safety! Always wear gloves, and work in a well ventilated area.
  • Pour rubbing alcohol into your plastic mixing cups as soon as you are done pouring.  This will allow you to clean and reuse the cup again.  Using a new cup every time is far too wasteful. Planet earth does not need more plastic trash. Try to lesson your impact and reduce, reuse, recycle. (Then again if I didn't make anything with resin in the first place....)
  • Pour slowly, be patient to remove bubbles. Poke with a toothpick or straight pin. Blow or exhale over your resin pours or blow through a straw. 
  • Work in a warm room. My studio in our basement is too cold and my resin (Easy Cast) cured with many tiny bubbles. I had much better success when I moved upstairs.
  • If creating a piece with paper printed from your computer or a photograph, you will need to seal the item with Mod Podge or clear packing tape.  Packing tape works quick for people like me with no patience.  Mod Podge you need to coat 3 layers, making sure it is completely dry between layers. Use a paint brush to spread a light coat of Mod Podge on your paper, too much and you can make the ink on your paper run.
  • Line your work surface with a garbage bag or wax paper. This makes for easy clean up and protects your table top.
  • Use a plastic container to cover your pieces after you pour to keep dust and other horrible things from settling on your pieces. Also pour where the pieces will be curing, that way you don't have to worry about spilling or ruining your pours while transporting them to the "cure zone".  If you have to move them, then pour your pieces on a piece of cardboard or foam core that has been covered with wax paper or a garbage bag or contact paper. Then pick up the cardboard and move your pieces to the cure zone and cover.
Visit my Resin Pinterest page for photos and ideas then call The Workspace to sign up for the class!

No comments:

Post a Comment