Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pouring Resin Without A Bezel and Capturing Some WWII Nostalgia

Today I want to try pouring resin without a bezel or a mold. I am using photo paper. I scanned some letters and postcards that my father, Clarence Leo "Skid" Miller wrote to his sister, my dear Aunt Margaret during WWII. My dad became a flight instructor in the Army Air Corps and taught men to fly B17 & B29 Bombers.

I scanned the photos, and used Picasa to print them out on 4x6 inch photo paper.  I did not want to use packing tape on these (see blog from yesterday), as I did not want the edge that you have to have with packing tape. However I did just watch a video on Rings & Things where the presenter used packing tape on both sides of a piece of paper, punched out the circle she needed and then sealed the edges with super glue.  It must work. (She was using UV resin, which I have not tried).

These are images from a couple postcards, my father's handwriting (which was very nice) from a letter and his return address from an envelope.

The photos are drying on popsicle sticks as it just seems easier to handle them on the sticks then trying to peel them off of my garbage bag. I applied three coats of Mod Podge on the front, allowing 15 minutes to dry between coats and three coats on the back.  Be patient, this takes a while but it prevents the resin from staining the image.

To pour the resin I kept the photos on the popsicle sticks to try and keep the resin on the photo. I was afraid if the resin touched my table surface, the resin would then run off the picture and not dome on top of the picture.

Here I have poured resin on the TWA girl, bottom right and begun
a pour on my dad and sister top left. (My sister is WAYY OLDER then me!!)


Here is a closeup of the pour on the photo.

Now these photos are not 4x6, I scanned them and when they printed out they did not fill the entire 4x6 photo paper. Then I cut them down even more.  I was able to cover all four items you see in the photos with about one ounce of resin.  Now to wait until tomorrow to see how they turn out. Then I will flip them over and cover the backside.




No comments:

Post a Comment